Skip to main content

I promise

Pagi aunty! Ada chuan haa mlm tadi?  

Manyak chuan ah doctor. Tak boleh tido. 

Okay aunty. Sekarang ada manyak chuan ke? 

Sekarang okay.

That’s my daily conversation with an aunty for the past one month. 

One afternoon, she asked me, “ Doctor ah makan.” 

“Takpe aunty. Saya sudah makan.” lying is bad I know but that’s how I would make them eat without feeling guilty.

“You pagi hari sudah mali, sampai ini petang ada lari sini sana bila you makan? Doctor, you kena makan baru kuat oh.” said an observant patient of mine. 

“Okay aunty” I smile and I left. What’s left in the heart was, “ I know that I have to eat. I know that it will make me strong but I have to finish the most important things first. If I don’t take her blood, doctor can’t review the results in the afternoon and they can’t decide on further management for her. And that’s not good for her.”

Being in geriatric ward taught me a lot. The day I realised that it’s not just about a career and money, I have made a promise to myself that no matter what happen, my patient will always be my priority. And no matter who they are, I will always treat them equally. I am so grateful to end in geriatric wards that I used to hate so much, I learnt a lot from the patient and the senior doctors. 

The day I saw how our consultant said right to the ear of an intubated but conscious patient, “Dear Mr.X, please hang in there. We are trying our best to help you here. Please hang in there.” And he nodded. 

It broke my heart and I realised that’s the day where I opened up myself for them. It’s one of the most precious learning experience I can never trade with anything.

And from that day onwards, I took that patient ABG every day to make sure I would have a conversation with him each day. That’s the only time of the day I can spent to talk with my patient. During blood taking. 

I am very proud of him and his progress. Not that huge progress but it’s all I ever wanted to see. Each day I would talk to him and said, “Good morning Mr.X. My name is hidayah. Do you remember me?” And he nodded. “I am going to take your blood again today okay. Would that be okay for you?” He would nod and if I failed to take once he would get angry by showing his angry face and I know how to make him better. Every day before I go, after blood taking, I will never forget to say, “Uncle, can you promise me you will fight this battle? You have to keep going okay? Hang in there alright. We are trying our very best to help you.” And he would look me right in the eyes as if he understood everything. And then I can go and do my own work. 

There’s just so many things for me to learn. Being in the ward, spending my whole day there, I swear I get thousands of knowledge from the senior doctors, the nurses, the PPK, the cleaner and of course the patient themselves. 


I can never lie that I have fall in love with my job over and over again each day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is trying to teach you something

Hello there! Sorry for the long wait. So, here you go.  Here come an urgent story after a reflection made few weeks ago. I just felt the urge and the need for me to write and share this. As you know, I have been working in a pharmacy for quite sometimes now. It has been around 4 months I guess. Though definitely, I am extremely tired and I got no time to pamper myself, it gave me priceless experience. It’s a place that taught me to appreciate people, trust (this one I’ve got some issue with it too. Trust is basically not easy. It’s build over time so work hard to gain it) and respect people no matter who they are and their social status or educational background.  Initially, it feels like there’s nothing I can gain from working there. Not that I believe in all those supplements can help with diseases. These days, when I felt like I was doing a thing without having a benefit, I would start to do my own reflection. It was like a homework to me. Thank you to that one...

Learn to listen

I like how people talk about life to me. I like to appreciate every bits of words and adjectives they used to describe their life when talking to me. Things like how they describe their love towards their parents and family, how they overcome their problem, how they rise and fall in life really attract me. It was like reading a book but instead I just need to listen. Although sometimes I like to talk in between their speech but most of the time, believe me, I listen. When you really listen to what people tell you, you will get to learn a lesson from it. Part of me love to evaluate, (sometimes judge, I know it's bad but can't help. I am human.) process it and then learn the lesson. For someone that trusted me and I trusted them, I will TRY to advice though sometimes it doesn't really help. However, I know by lending my ears to listen to them, I help if not a lot just a little might do.  People make mistakes. I myself make a lot of mistakes in life. I myself am not th...

It's for us!

Before I start here, I would like to say I am sorry, that I am not being racist here. No intention like that at all. So here I am sharing with you guys my two cents regarding my childhood and maybe you have had similar childhood experience too. I admit that to be honest, I was raised by parents who would expect the best out of me behind their, “ I don’t mind” words. How do I know? I analyzed, observed and listened. With that, I understand what they wanted actually. Most of my family ( I mean huge family including cousins, aunties and uncle) were placed in a chinese school even from preschool years. Our parents believed that the chinese school has the best education system that of all can offer. Most of my cousins and relatives were able to complete their chinese education until high school except for me. I am an exclusion, I couldn’t fit and survive even during my preschool years. When I was in my psychiatry posting, I remembered that there was a young boy presented with d...